Prosecution Detains Sayed Al-Mashaal for 15 Days, Charges him with Inciting Hatred against Regime
2019-02-04 - 12:27 am
Bahrain Mirror: The Public Prosecution ordered on Saturday (February 3, 2019) the arrest of prominent cleric Sayed Majeed Al-Mashaal for 15 days pending investigation over charge of inciting hatred against the regime.
The authorities released on Monday (January 28, 2019) Sayed Al-Mashaal after serving two and half years in jail. As soon as he was released, he visited the house of Ayatollah Sheikh Isa Qassim, who has been abroad since summer in a treatment trip.
The security authorities summoned Sayed Al-Mashaal to Hamad Town police station, roundabout 17 two days following his release. His public receiving in Sar obsequy was also cancelled. Sayed Al-Mashaal left the police center and returned home for one night before he was summoned to Khamis police station where he was detained without knowing the reason. Al-Mashaal was referred to the public prosecution that decided to arrest him for 15 days.
A number of human rights organizations considered that what Shiite clerics in Bahrain are being subjected to is an official repression within discrimination campaign practiced by the authorities against Shiites.
Lawyer Ali Yehya said via his Twitter account "Arrest of Sayed Majeed Al-Mashaal for 15 days pending investigation over charge of inciting hatred against the regime...when will [the authorities] stop raising this non-constitutional charge?"
Al-Mashaal was head of Ulama Islamic Council (highest Shiite religious authority in Bahrain) before it was dissolved.
After Ayatollah Sheikh Isa Qassim was revoked of citizenship, Al-Mashaal called for an open sit-in in front of Sheikh Qassim's house. Al-Mashaal was then imprisoned for two and half years.
- 2023-03-28HR Organizations Call for Activating "Magnitsky Act" to Hold Perpetrators of Violations Accountable
- 2023-03-28Sayed Al-Ghuraifi Calls for Purifying Climate, Initiating Serious Dialogues
- 2023-03-28Maryam Al-Khawaja: Bahrain Regime Setting up Circumstances to Cause Death of My Father and Other Prisoners, West Government Should Move before It's Late
- 2023-03-26Sheikh Al-Sadadi Calls to Make Use of Holy Month of Ramadan to Resolve Outstanding Issues, Release Prisoners
- 2023-03-24Gov't to Refer General Budget to House of Representatives on Monday: Sources