We Want OHCHR to Play its Real Role in HR Oversight in Bahrain: Baqer Darwish
2022-05-20 - 5:31 p
Bahrain Mirror: Baqer Darwish, president of Bahrain Forum for Human Rights, told prominent Lebanese journalist Pierre Abi Saab during his program on Al-Mayadeen Channel, that "The government has made oral promises regarding the conditions of detainees to the OHCHR, but according to our experience, this is not enough."
"There must be written guarantees on the human rights situation before signing the memorandum of understanding, which some parties were incomprehensibly in a rush to sign," he explained.
Darwish said "Human rights organizations are monitoring the course of the memorandum of understanding, and we want the OHCHR to play its real role in human rights oversight. We don't want the authority to use the UN mechanisms to whitewash violations."
- 2023-06-02Ayatollah Qassim on Martyrs Sultan and Thamer: There are Great Heroes among Bahrain's People, Only Known after Martyrdom
- 2023-06-02Families of Martyrs Sultan and Thamer Demand Help of Bahraini Gov't to Return their Bodies from Saudi Arabia for Burial
- 2023-06-02Abdulwahab Hussein on Execution of Sultan and Thamer: We'll Neither Give Up Nor Retreat
- 2023-06-01Protests in Manama after Execution of Bahrainis Sadiq Thamer and Jaafar Sultan at Hands of Saudi Authorities
- 2023-05-30Authorities Summon Head of Sanabis Ma'atam for Interrogation over Enthusiastic Reception of Sheikh Mohammad Sanqour