230 HR Violations in April, Including 10 Political Verdicts: Al-Wefaq Report
2022-05-23 - 3:27 p
Bahrain Mirror: The Al-Wefaq National Islamic Society said that last April witnessed peaceful protests and demonstration marking Al-Quds Day, noting that the society monitored several violations, such as summoning citizens, including human rights figures.
In its monthly report, which monitors the period from April 1 to 30, 2022, Al-Wefaq noted the arrest of 4 citizens, one of whom, Mohammed Yousif Nouh, was released 8 days after his arrest, on May 8, 2022.
The arrested are: Sayed Abdullah Mohammad, Ali Ahmed Ali and Jassim Mohammed Isa.
Al-Wefaq monitored 10 summonses against 7 citizens, most notably Mr. Ali Mhanna, who was summoned 3 times, and activist Haj Abdulmajid Abdullah Mohsen (Haji Somoud), who was summoned twice. Meanwhile, the number of enforced disappearances reached one case against detainee Ali Ahmed Ali, who was forcibly disappeared for 15 days at least, indicating that this period may be longer, but no information is available on this issue.
Arbitrary sentences reached 10 against convicts, all are adult males. The total number of sentences amounted to 41 years in prison and 400,000 BD fines.
With regard to prisons violations, 17 individual cases of violations were documented between torture, ill-treatment and denial of treatment, 16 of which were in Jaw Central Prison. Meanwhile, 12 cases of collective punishment were documented in prisons, 4 in Dry Dock Prison and 8 in Jaw Prison.
Dry Dock Prison witnessed 3 collective protests, 2 of them were due to the sufferings of detainees in building 17 and the failure of prison administration to respond to the requests to change the situation.
176 raids were carried out in 32 areas, most notably in Sanabis, Jidhafs, Al-Daih, Sitra, Abu Saiba.
83 peaceful protests were staged in 25 villages, most notably in Shahrakan, Wadiyan, Abu Quwah, Muqashaa, Al-Malikiya, Bilad Al-Qadeem, Sitra and Al-Hajar.
Meanwhile, daily vigils continued to be staged in Sanabis. Areas also witnessed peaceful marches commemorating Al-Quds day.
- 2023-06-02Ayatollah Qassim on Martyrs Sultan and Thamer: There are Great Heroes among Bahrain's People, Only Known after Martyrdom
- 2023-06-02Families of Martyrs Sultan and Thamer Demand Help of Bahraini Gov't to Return their Bodies from Saudi Arabia for Burial
- 2023-06-02Abdulwahab Hussein on Execution of Sultan and Thamer: We'll Neither Give Up Nor Retreat
- 2023-06-01Protests in Manama after Execution of Bahrainis Sadiq Thamer and Jaafar Sultan at Hands of Saudi Authorities
- 2023-05-30Authorities Summon Head of Sanabis Ma'atam for Interrogation over Enthusiastic Reception of Sheikh Mohammad Sanqour