Bahrainis Criticize Sale of Island to Israel
2023-02-16 - 7:35 p
Bahrain Mirror: Bahrainis criticized on social media outlets the sale of an island to the Zionist entity, describing the act as the latest normalization step.
Human rights activist Maryam Al-Khawaja was among those Bahrainis who spoke out against the development. She said "Reports emerging (posted by Israeli news then deleted) that Israel has bought an island in Bahrain - best described as colonial expansion - from a foreign ruling family that occupied Bahrain violently and has been ruling it violently since."
Bahraini political activist Ebrahim Sharif questioned whether "the process of Judaizing and Zionizing" the tiny Gulf state has already begun.
"Has the process of Judaization and Zionism of Manama started?" he tweeted.
Jawad Fairooz, a former Bahraini lawmaker and the head of SALAM for Democracy and Human Rights (SALAM DHR), meanwhile described the purchase as "a very dangerous and worrying signal."
The Israeli media revealed that the Jewish National Fund bought an island in the western waterfront of Bahrain for about 9 million dinars after it offered the island among a group of 100 properties for sale at auction.
- 2023-06-02Ayatollah Qassim on Martyrs Sultan and Thamer: There are Great Heroes among Bahrain's People, Only Known after Martyrdom
- 2023-06-02Families of Martyrs Sultan and Thamer Demand Help of Bahraini Gov't to Return their Bodies from Saudi Arabia for Burial
- 2023-06-02Abdulwahab Hussein on Execution of Sultan and Thamer: We'll Neither Give Up Nor Retreat
- 2023-06-01Protests in Manama after Execution of Bahrainis Sadiq Thamer and Jaafar Sultan at Hands of Saudi Authorities
- 2023-05-30Authorities Summon Head of Sanabis Ma'atam for Interrogation over Enthusiastic Reception of Sheikh Mohammad Sanqour