Former MP and Prisoner Hasan Isa Starts Hunger Strike to Warn IPU Assembly of Deteriorating HR Situation in Bahrain
2023-03-10 - 12:35 p
Bahrain Mirror: Former MP and prisoner Sheikh Hasan Isa has started a hunger strike to draw the attention of participants at the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) conference to the deteriorating human rights situation in Bahrain.
MP Hasan Isa has been in the regime's prisons for nearly 9 years, during which he was subjected to the most heinous forms of torture, reprisals for his peaceful activism, his demands for legislative reforms, and his calls for justice, democracy and freedom.
His hunger strike comes one day before the 146th General Assembly of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) convenes its conference in Manama from 11 till 15 March 2023. 2,000 parliamentarians and international observers representing 179 countries are expected to participate.
It is noteworthy mentioning that former MP Sheikh Ali Salman, head of the largest parliamentary bloc in Bahrain's history, is also languishing in regime prisons. Many MPs have been arrested, tortured, stripped of their citizenship and exiled for their demands for reform.
- 2023-06-01Protests in Manama after Execution of Bahrainis Sadiq Thamer and Jaafar Sultan at Hands of Saudi Authorities
- 2023-05-30Authorities Summon Head of Sanabis Ma'atam for Interrogation over Enthusiastic Reception of Sheikh Mohammad Sanqour
- 2023-05-30Amnesty: Sultan and Thamer Faced "Grossly Unfair" Trial
- 2023-05-30Ayatollah Sheikh Isa Qassim Offers Condolences to Parents of Executed Martyrs
- 2023-05-30On Way to Jaw Prison: Conversation with Martyr Ahmad Asfour Narrated by Sheikh Ali Salman's Wife