Egyptian Judge who Issued Harsh Sentences against Bahraini Dissidents Handed down 24-Year Jail Term in Egypt over Bribery and Drug Possession Cases
2022-08-29 - 4:27 م
Bahrain Mirror: The Egyptian Cairo Criminal Court sentenced on Sunday (August 28, 2022) Judge Sami Mahmoud Abdulrahim, who served as a judge in Bahrain for years and issued harsh sentences against Bahraini dissidents, to 24 years in prison, after being convicted in cases of bribery and possession of weapons and drugs.
Abdulrahim was a member of the High Court of Appeal with Judge Ibrahim Al-Zayed, one of the courts that issued dozens of harsh sentences against Bahraini political opponents.
Lawyer Abdullah Hashem called on the Bahraini authorities to "list all the cases he has considered and review all the sentences he has issued."
Egyptian media outlets say that Abdulrahim worked as head of the first chamber of the Port Said Criminal Court after returning from Bahrain and handed down harsh sentences against Egyptian dissidents as well.
The Cairo Criminal Court charged Sami Abdulrahim with bribery and sentenced him to 24 years in prison in addition to fining him 3 million and 610 thousand pounds (about $188.5 thousand).
His verdict included 10 years in prison and a fine of 2 million pounds over bribery charge, 5 years in prison and a fine of 1 million pounds over the second bribery case, 3 years in prison and a fine of 500,000 pounds over the third bribery case, 3 years in prison and a fine of 10,000 pounds over possession of an unlicensed firearm and 3 years in prison and a fine of 100,000 pounds over charge of possessing cannabis and opium without the intention of trafficking or usage.
- 2023-03-29British MPs Launch Motion to Release Detained Figures in Bahrain on their 12th Anniversary of their Imprisonment
- 2023-03-29Bahrain Summons Iraqi Charge d'affaires over Breaching Diplomatic Norms
- 2023-03-29Saudi Ambassador Hosts his Iranian Counterpart to Iftar Banquet
- 2023-03-29Saudi Crown Prince, Chinese President Stress "Importance of Strategic Relations with Iran"
- 2023-03-29Bahraini Delegation to Visit Iran as Part of Diplomatic Efforts to Strengthen Relations